Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Story Of It All

...the first post on a blog that I hope will bring interesting information to all those undergraduate engineering students who ponder the possibility of doing medicine.

I had just finished my freshman year in the school of engineering, a year that was mostly a catch-up on science courses. I was glad to be free for the summer, and took up my regular summer job that I was doing since beginning of high school. One warm weekend in June, I was with my old high school buddies. We were lazily drinking coffee and talking about the year that had gone by. Conversation shifted from parties, to annoying courses, and eventually again to parties. My friend Alex mentioned his experience volunteering at a local hospital's OR. His story about watching some guy with blood gushing out of his neck was quite interesting. At that time, the hospital world was a big mystery to me, making any first-hand account of that place very interesting.

As the summer progressed I kept with my job and enjoyed the free days. At my place of work there was an old Jewish man who had come to this country following WWII. He and I would often talk about the war; well mostly me listening. Along with his stories there would be suggestions as to what I should do with my life. He had a daughter who married a doctor, and to the Jewish family this is the biggest joy in the world. I have heard this story close to a dozen times and at the end he would tell me that in America the best careers are doctors and the crooked lawyers.

By August I kept rolling the thought of medical field in my mind, and finally decided to volunteer at the local hospital. Looking back, I decided to do this mainly because of my friend Alex. I didn't want him to be the only one with that experience and felt some inferiority because of it. But after I started my volunteer position, things took a different turn; I stumbled onto something big.

No comments:

About Me

Currently a medical student, sharing articles and noteworthy information in the field of medical technology and medicine.