Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Don't See Your Doctor Right Before Graduation - A Lesson in Health Insurance

This post is for those students that are going to be graduating and loosing their health insurance. Right before I graduated, I went to my physician to get a physical to make sure that everything was OK. At the time, this made sense and so I got my physical only to find out that there was something wrong and required specialized treatment. But once I graduated and started looking for alternative health coverage I realized that I made a mistake. Insurance companies have this thing called pre-condition, which is their way of saying that they won't cover any ailments you had on the previous insurance plan. So when my physician diagnosed me, I had fallen into this pre-condition trap. If I were to get an insurance plan with a pre-condition clause, I would not be covered for treatment related to that condition.

Now there are some nuances. Pre-condition is usually present in "cheap" insurance. I say this because even the cheapest, descent insurance is $300.00+/month. Good health plans, usually offered through employers, don't have pre-condition stuff. But the health plan advertisements you might get from your school or mail, are usually crap.

The lesson:
1. Don't go to your doctor right before you graduate, wait till you get health coverage through med school or job following graduation.

2. Get COBRA coverage. Its usually offered through your parents' plan an will give you the coverage you previously had under their plan but with a monthly premium ($300.00-$400.00/month).

3. DO NOT be without health insurance. Get a basic plan which you can afford. The worst thing is to be without nothing b/c a couple nights at the hospital can cost you the equivalent of a down payment for a house. The $200.00-$300.00/month will save you thousands in case something happens (and since you are young and very active it probably will)

No comments:

About Me

Currently a medical student, sharing articles and noteworthy information in the field of medical technology and medicine.